Marea Village Project Environmental Impact Report
On November 8th, the Development Services Department for the City of Encinitas will be reviewing the Marea Village Proposal’s Draft Environmental Impact Report for this gigantic development being proposed to be located on North Coast Highway 101 near La Costa Avenue, south of the new Hyatt Alila Marea Hotel and north of the SeaBluffe residential community. The proposed development consists of a mixed use community with: 96 rental apartments (20 affordable units); a subterranean parking garage; a 30-room Boutique Hotel and commercial & retail space including public amenities.
Please provide feedback via email on this project. See contact information and donation options below!
Of particular concern is:
- Overall Public safety of the community in connection with a project of this magnitude, especially when considering:
- New Alila Marea 120 room hotel
- PONTO 230 room hotel (coming soon)
- 72-unit Vulcan apartment complex
- 48-unit housing track on La Costa near Sheridan
- 13 room hotel next to La Costa Sheridan
- ALL slated for northwest Leucadia
• No sidewalk on La Costa for residents to arrive safely to the beach, downtown Leucadia or to this proposed retail space with public amenities
• Unclear Hwy 101 vehicular access
• Lighting that will impair the local night sky and disturb Batiquitos Lagoon habitat and endangered birds
• Run-off and drainage going into the lagoon and ocean
• Destruction of fragile bluffs (with subterranean parking for 200 vehicles) *current lawsuit pending already posing geological issues
• Questionable parking space for retail & commercial operations plus hotel and apartments, guests and “spill-over” parking impacts”
• Sound from the placement of 126 units, cars and commercial, retail, hotel operations adjacent to residential community
• Height of units, to exceed height limits (3-story) and invade privacy of SeaBluffe residential units
• Increased traffic on an already over-taxed roadway (La Costa Ave) with private driveways and an “F” road rating (Failed) for safety and throughput
This project can and should be better designed with lesser density in order to be less impactful for northwest Leucadia, the environment, and all area residents and property owners and businesses, including bicyclists/pedestrians. It should also have a developer funded round-about entry/exit design to compliment and fit in with the Leucadia Streetscape.
What about the community’s well-being, public safety and right to quiet enjoyment of their residences? Will this “add” to that or harm that?
Learn More Here:
Marea Village home page: https://mareavillage.com
Marea Village Environmental Impact Report: Click here
Marea Village CEQA application: Click here
Comments need to be sent by November 8th (latest) via email or by mail to City Planner Scott Vurbeff, [email protected] of the Development Services Department at the City of Encinitas, with a CC to the City Clerk at [email protected]
***To contribute to a legal fund for the attorney writing a community response to the Environmental Impact Report, please send a donation (check) payable to North County Advocates here: 7668 El Camino Real Suite 104-258 Carlsbad, CA 92009 and include on the memo line: “FOS or Friends of SeaBluffe”. Thank you for your help and donation!***